Mailing a Letter to California in the Old West (Enviando uma carta para a Califórnia no Velho Oeste)

Texto: Mailing a Letter to California in the Old West (Enviando uma carta para a Califórnia no Velho Oeste)

Across the United States, the speed limit on fast roads is generally 88 kilometers an hour (55 mph). But in the western United States, there are highways where the speed limit is 125 kilometers an hour (75 mph).

These are usually in areas with little traffic but lots of open country. The roads are good, a driver can see far — and a trip hundreds of kilometers long can take just a few hours. And if that is not fast enough, then people can drive to another part of the modern transportation system: the airport.

There used to be a time when the quickest way to travel across the western United States was in a stagecoach. A stagecoach was a large, enclosed wagon pulled by teams of horses or mules. The driver tried for a speed of about eight kilometers an hour. (5 mph)

Our story really begins in Washington, D.C. Lawmakers in Congress wanted to make it possible to send mail all the way across the United States by land. Mail was usually carried west on ships that sailed around the bottom of South America and then north to California. That could take several months.

So, in 1857, Congress offered to help any company that would try to deliver mail overland to the West Coast. A man named John Butterfield accepted this offer. He developed plans for a company that would carry the mail — and passengers, too.

Congress gave John Butterfield $600,000 to start his company. In return, he had to promise that the mail would travel from Saint Louis, Missouri, to San Francisco, California, in 25 days or less.

It was not possible to travel straight through because of the Rocky Mountains and the deep snow that fell in winter. So the stagecoach would travel south from Saint Louis to El Paso, Texas, then over to southern California, then north to San Francisco. The distance was about 4,500 kilometers (2,800 miles).

John Butterfield hired more than 1,000 who knew the Southwest. Some carefully planned the way the stagecoach would travel. Others built small structures to house stagecoach workers and animals along the route.

Two hundred of these stations were built, each about 32 kilometers (20 miles) apart. The workers were to quickly change the horses or mules whenever a stagecoach reached the station. There could be no delay.

Each stagecoach was to travel nearly 200 kilometers (125 miles) a day. Two-man teams were responsible for the safety of the mail, the passengers and the stagecoach. John Butterfield ordered his men never to let the mail out of their sight.

The Butterfield Overland Mail company operated from 1858 until 1861. It went out of business because of the Civil War, which began that year.

One hundred stagecoaches were built specially for the job. Each one was painted red or dark green. These were the most modern coaches that money could buy. They cost $1,500 each.

They were designed to hold as many as nine passengers and 12,000 pieces of mail. The seats inside could be folded down to make beds. Passengers either slept on them or on the bags of mail.

The cost would be $150 to travel from Saint Louis to San Francisco. If a passenger was not going all the way, the cost was about ten cents a kilometer. The passengers had to buy their own food at the stations. The stagecoach would stop for 40 minutes, two times a day.

But the Butterfield Overland Mail stagecoach needed to travel as fast as possible. It had to keep moving to reach San Francisco in 25 days as required by the government contract.

The company warned passengers about the possible dangers. A poster said: “You will be traveling through Indian country and the safety of your person cannot by vouchsafed by anyone but God.”

The Butterfield stagecoaches passed through dangerous areas. Some Indians did not want anyone to get too near their settlements.

These lands were home to the Chiricahua, Membreno, White Mountain and Mescalero Apaches. Two of their chiefs became very famous in stories of the American West. They were Cochise and Geronimo.

The Native Americans were experts at surviving in the mountains and deserts of the Southwest. They were also fierce fighters.

Butterfield workers were instructed not to incite the Apaches in any way. Often the company would use mules instead of horses to pull its stagecoaches because the Indians had no interest in mules. But there was still trouble. Workers were killed, animals were stolen and stations were burned.

The first Butterfield Overland Mail stagecoach left Missouri on September 16, 1858, on its way to California. It made the trip in 23 days, 23 hours.

The only passenger on that first stage to travel all the way through to San Francisco was a newspaper reporter named Waterman Ormsby. He worked for the New York Herald. He wrote several stories about the trip; later, they were put together in a book, “The Butterfield Overland Mail.” Here is part of what he wrote about that trip.

“We finally got under way again and pursued our weary course along the edge of the plain, thumping and bumping at a rate which threatened not to leave a whole bone in my body. What with the dust and the sun pouring directly on our heads … I found that day’s ride quite unpleasant, and at our several camps readily availed myself of the opportunity to plunge into the Pecos, muddy as it was; and I was heartily glad when about 10 p.m. we reached a station 58 miles from our starting point in the morning … “

Today people can visit the ruins of one of the Butterfield stagecoach stops, now located in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. To reach the park, visitors drive through the Guadalupe Pass, more than 1,500 meters high.

In his description of that first trip west, Waterman Ormsby explained why the station was called “the Pinery.”

” … on account of the number of pine trees that grow in the gorge of the mountain in which it is situated. As we approached the mountain, the hills and gulleys bore the appearance of having been created by some vast, fierce torrent rushing around the base of the peak, and tearing its way through the loose earth. … [I]t seems as if nature had saved all her ruggedness to pile it up in this colossal form of the Guadalupe Peak …

“The great peak towers as if ready at any moment to fall, while huge boulders hang as if ready, with the weight of a rain drop, to be loosened from their fastenings and descend with lumbering swiftness to the bottom, carrying destruction in their paths.”

The Pinery Station was a series of three connected buildings. The walls were made of local limestone and bricks of sun-dried mud called adobe. The roofs were also mud. A wagon repair shop and blacksmith barn stood nearby.

The Butterfield mail coaches used the buildings until August of 1859. Then a new road replaced the one through Guadalupe Pass. It was better protected from Indian attacks because it passed by two Army forts. But the buildings at Guadalupe continued to be used by soldiers and others who passed that way.

Today, the buildings are no longer there, just the outlines of where they stood, and some of the original bricks. But visitors to Guadalupe Mountains National Park in West Texas can still get a sense of their historic importance. The company is said to have never broken its contract with the government in its two and a half years of operation.

At the end of September 2008, the park celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Butterfield Overland Mail. There were stage coach rides, living history programs and demonstrations of shoeing a mule.

It’s easy to imagine those long-ago days of cowboys and Indians, and the spirit of adventure that led travelers to ride the stagecoach west.

Our program was written by Nancy Steinbach and produced by Caty Weaver. I’m Barbara Klein. And I’m Bob Doughty. Doug Johnson was our reader.

Mailing a Letter to California in the Old West (Enviando uma carta para a Califórnia no Velho Oeste) – Tradução

Tradução (Fornecida pelo Google)

Nos Estados Unidos, o limite de velocidade em estradas rápidas é geralmente 88 quilômetros por hora (55 mph). Mas no oeste dos Estados Unidos, existem rodovias onde o limite de velocidade é de 125 quilômetros por hora (75 mph).

Geralmente, são em áreas com pouco tráfego, mas com muito campo aberto. As estradas são boas, o motorista pode ver longe – e uma viagem de centenas de quilômetros pode levar apenas algumas horas. E se isso não for rápido o suficiente, as pessoas podem dirigir para outra parte do sistema de transporte moderno: o aeroporto.

Costumava haver um tempo em que a maneira mais rápida de viajar pelo oeste dos Estados Unidos era uma diligência. Uma diligência era uma carroça grande e fechada, puxada por equipes de cavalos ou mulas. O motorista tentou uma velocidade de cerca de oito quilômetros por hora. (5 mph)

Nossa história realmente começa em Washington, DC Os legisladores do Congresso queriam possibilitar o envio de correspondência por todo o país por terra. As correspondências eram geralmente transportadas para o oeste em navios que navegavam pelo fundo da América do Sul e depois para o norte, até a Califórnia. Isso pode levar vários meses.

Assim, em 1857, o Congresso se ofereceu para ajudar qualquer empresa que tentasse entregar correio por terra na Costa Oeste. Um homem chamado John Butterfield aceitou esta oferta. Ele desenvolveu planos para uma empresa que levaria a correspondência – e passageiros também.

O congresso deu a John Butterfield US $ 600.000 para iniciar sua empresa. Em troca, ele tinha que prometer que o correio viajaria de Saint Louis, Missouri, para San Francisco, Califórnia, em 25 dias ou menos.

Não foi possível viajar direto por causa das montanhas rochosas e da neve profunda que caía no inverno. Assim, a diligência viajaria para o sul de Saint Louis para El Paso, Texas, depois para o sul da Califórnia, depois para o norte para San Francisco. A distância era de cerca de 4.500 quilômetros (2.800 milhas).

John Butterfield contratou mais de mil pessoas que conheciam o sudoeste. Alguns planejaram cuidadosamente o caminho da diligência. Outros construíram pequenas estruturas para abrigar trabalhadores e animais de diligência ao longo da rota.

Duzentas dessas estações foram construídas, cada uma com cerca de 32 quilômetros de distância. Os trabalhadores trocavam rapidamente os cavalos ou mulas sempre que uma diligência chegava à estação. Não poderia haver atraso.

Cada diligência percorria quase 200 quilômetros por dia. Equipes de dois homens foram responsáveis ​​pela segurança do correio, dos passageiros e da diligência. John Butterfield ordenou que seus homens nunca deixassem a correspondência desaparecer.

A empresa Butterfield Overland Mail operou de 1858 a 1861. Fechou os negócios por causa da Guerra Civil, que começou naquele ano.

Cem diligências foram construídas especialmente para o trabalho. Cada um foi pintado de vermelho ou verde escuro. Esses eram os treinadores mais modernos que o dinheiro podia comprar. Eles custam US $ 1.500 cada.

Eles foram projetados para acomodar até nove passageiros e 12.000 peças de correspondência. Os assentos dentro podiam ser rebatidos para fazer camas. Os passageiros dormiam neles ou nas malas de correio.

O custo seria de US $ 150 para viajar de Saint Louis para San Francisco. Se um passageiro não estava indo todo o caminho, o custo era de cerca de dez centavos de dólar por quilômetro. Os passageiros tiveram que comprar sua própria comida nas estações. A diligência parava por 40 minutos, duas vezes ao dia.

Mas a diligência de Butterfield Overland Mail precisava viajar o mais rápido possível. Precisava seguir em frente para chegar a São Francisco em 25 dias, conforme exigido pelo contrato do governo.

A empresa alertou os passageiros sobre os possíveis perigos. Um cartaz dizia: “Você estará viajando pelo país indiano e a segurança de sua pessoa não pode ser garantida por ninguém além de Deus”.

As diligências de Butterfield passaram por áreas perigosas. Alguns indianos não queriam que ninguém chegasse muito perto de seus assentamentos.

Essas terras abrigavam os Apaches de Chiricahua, Membreno, White Mountain e Mescalero. Dois de seus chefes tornaram-se muito famosos nas histórias do oeste americano. Eles eram Cochise e Geronimo.

Os nativos americanos eram especialistas em sobreviver nas montanhas e desertos do sudoeste. Eles também eram lutadores ferozes.

Os trabalhadores de Butterfield foram instruídos a não incitar os Apaches de forma alguma. Muitas vezes, a empresa usava mulas em vez de cavalos para fazer diligências porque os índios não tinham interesse em mulas. Mas ainda havia problemas. Trabalhadores foram mortos, animais foram roubados e estações foram queimadas.

A primeira diligência de Butterfield Overland Mail deixou o Missouri em 16 de setembro de 1858, a caminho da Califórnia. Ele fez a viagem em 23 dias, 23 horas.

O único passageiro naquele primeiro estágio a viajar até San Francisco foi um repórter de jornal chamado Waterman Ormsby. Ele trabalhou para o New York Herald. Ele escreveu várias histórias sobre a viagem; depois, eles foram reunidos em um livro, “The Butterfield Overland Mail”. Aqui está parte do que ele escreveu sobre essa viagem.

“Finalmente começamos de novo e seguimos nosso curso cansado ao longo da borda da planície, batendo e batendo a uma velocidade que ameaçava não deixar um osso inteiro no meu corpo. Com a poeira e o sol derramando diretamente em nossas cabeças… Achei o passeio daquele dia bastante desagradável e, em nossos vários acampamentos, aproveitei a oportunidade de mergulhar nos Pecos, lamacentos como era; e fiquei muito feliz quando, por volta das 22 horas, chegamos a uma estação a 58 milhas de nosso ponto de partida. a manhã … “

Hoje, as pessoas podem visitar as ruínas de uma das paradas de diligência de Butterfield, agora localizada no Parque Nacional das Montanhas Guadalupe. Para chegar ao parque, os visitantes passam pelo Guadalupe Pass, com mais de 1.500 metros de altura.

Em sua descrição da primeira viagem ao oeste, Waterman Ormsby explicou por que a estação era chamada “Pinery”.

“… devido ao número de pinheiros que crescem no desfiladeiro da montanha em que está situado. Ao nos aproximarmos da montanha, as colinas e ravinas pareciam ter sido criadas por uma vasta e feroz torrente correndo ao redor da base do pico e abrindo caminho através da terra solta … […] Parece que a natureza salvou toda a sua robustez para amontoá-lo nesta forma colossal do Pico de Guadalupe …

“Os grandes picos se elevam como se estivessem prontos a qualquer momento para cair, enquanto enormes pedras pendiam como se estivessem prontas, com o peso de uma gota de chuva, para serem afrouxadas de suas fixações e descerem com rapidez pesada para o fundo, carregando destruição em seus caminhos. . ”

A Estação Pinery era uma série de três edifícios conectados. As paredes eram feitas de calcário local e tijolos de barro seco ao sol chamado adobe. Os telhados também eram de lama. Nas proximidades, havia uma oficina de reparações de vagões e um celeiro de ferreiro.

Os treinadores do correio de Butterfield usaram os prédios até agosto de 1859. Em seguida, uma nova estrada substituiu a que passava por Guadalupe Pass. Estava mais protegido dos ataques indianos porque passou por dois fortes do Exército. Mas os prédios de Guadalupe continuaram sendo usados ​​por soldados e outros que passaram por ali.

Hoje, os edifícios não estão mais lá, apenas os contornos de onde estavam e alguns dos tijolos originais. Mas os visitantes do Parque Nacional das Montanhas Guadalupe, no oeste do Texas, ainda podem ter uma noção de sua importância histórica. Dizem que a empresa nunca quebrou seu contrato com o governo em seus dois anos e meio de operação.

No final de setembro de 2008, o parque comemorou o 150º aniversário do Butterfield Overland Mail. Houve passeios de ônibus, programas de história viva e demonstrações de calçar uma mula.

É fácil imaginar aqueles dias antigos de cowboys e índios, e o espírito de aventura que levou os viajantes a percorrer a diligência para o oeste.

Nosso programa foi escrito por Nancy Steinbach e produzido por Caty Weaver. Eu sou Barbara Klein. E eu sou Bob Doughty. Doug Johnson foi nosso redator.